Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Destination HONG KONG

I love Hong Kong!

It is smelly, it is wild, it is fun, it is great for shopping, it is so completely different to what I'm used to but the fact that they speak English is a relief, especially when you're asking for directions.

My best friend and I travelled there in 2009 with my brother and we had a blast.  The food was incredibe but surprisingly the nicest thing I ate there was the simple dish of kailan (also known as chinese broccoli) steamed with butter and garlic.  Yum!













The best experience was haggling at the Ladies Market and in Shenzhen mall just across the border in China.  We quickly learnt what was expected of us: fake laughs of outrage, eye rolls, pretending to walk away before grudgingly accepting their price (which was ridiculously cheap anyway).  I also found the best opshop I've ever been to on the side of the Ladies Market behind all of the stalls - keep an eye out if you're ever in the area.

Shenzhen Mall with my trusty fanny pack

Would I live there?  Yes, because it's got the city and the beach as well as great food, friendly people and plenty of work opportunities.  There is also the chance to immerse yourself in a unique culture without feeling too out of depth or uncomfortable.  Now to convince my husband...

My brother and I checking out HK at night


No comments:

Post a Comment