Thursday, April 28, 2011

THINGS I LOVE: Doughnuting Behind a Boat

Rewind a few years back to 1999 and there's Michaela and I screaming and clinging onto a double doughnut at 3rd Form camp, both eager to save face and stay afloat.  It was one of my first experiences doughnuting and proved to be the best.

Skip forward some six or so years and a bunch of us cousins at the Barrier went doughnuting in the harbour by Flat Island.  The driver of my Uncle's boat wasnt terribly experienced and on top of that it was an overcast day and the water was deep and black, but still our excitement was undeterred.  When warning bells rang our laughter rang louder and each of us had turns zipping along the surface and jumping the waves with glee.  The only time a hint of panic ever disturbed the fun was when our doughnut overturned and we were left bobbing by ourselves while waiting to get picked up.  When it was my turn, I remember looking down and realising the water was so dark I could hardly see my feet.  I recalled many a time when I had seen sharks and even orca in that very same harbour that I was doggy-paddling in and it was a tremendous relief when my cousins eventually hauled me back aboard.  Yet did I have another turn that day?  You betcha!

*Sigh* The things we do in our adolescence!


A doughnut combined with deep, dark water where shark sightings are regularly reported do not a good combination make.

No comments:

Post a Comment