Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Thoughts on This Season's 'American Idol'

When two of my top three said byebye on American Idol I thought that what started off as a promising season slowly started slipping.  Thia was my third favourite because her voice was so silky smooth and controlled.  Admittedly it wasnt the most exciting nor her song choices the most creative, but for a girl of 16 Thia showed so much talent and reminded me of those pitch-perfect singers of Walt Disney songs like Part of That World and Colours of the Wind, the latter which she belted out on stage beautifully.  What eases the disappointment is the fact that she is so young and has time to find her feet and work on adding variety to her voice and performances.


My second favourite was Pia who almost always took my breath away.  Not only was she aesthetically admirable with perfectly groomed hair and makeup, an infectious smile and personable character, but that voice!  Her rendition of Tina Turner's River Deep Mountain High actually gave me shivers it was THAT GOOD.  I guess America got bored of her ballad choices week after week and when she did finally mix it up it was a case of too little, too late.  Such a shame!


My number one fave and who I'm hoping will win American Idol this season is Haley.  Say what you will but I think she performs really really well - there's an element of sexiness and a carefree attitude that makes her enjoyable to watch on stage.  She has the ability to use her voice to do all sorts of tricks too, from yodeling to jazzing it up.  There's nothing she cant do, no song she cant conquer!



The bottom of my list would have to be that useless, arrogant rocker guy that sucks.  I dont even know his name he sucks so much.  When he sang While My Guitar Slowly Weeps I was happy that the world could finally see just how bad this guy was.  Instead, the judges praised him for getting in touch with his emotional side and for not being afraid of shedding some tears!  Whaaaaaaaaaaat?  He was crying because even he knew how bad it was!  And yet week after week he is safe and for that he is a walking miracle.

Who are your top picks?

1 comment: