Friday, April 8, 2011

DVD Day: 'I Am Legend'

My hobby is collecting books that have been converted into movies.  Until five minutes ago I thought the movie I Am Legend was a stand-alone film unrelated to any written work, but that was naiive of me.  Much of the film industry these days are adaptations of novels but I am always surprised and delighted when I come across a new one. 


Presley and I rented I Am Legend last night and I think it is a fantastic movie.  What makes it even better is that I just found out it is based on a novel by Richard Matheson of the same name!  My fingers are itching to peruse TradeMe and Amazon in search of it.  But anyway, Will Smith has to be one of the only actors who can portray subtle touches of humour in an utterly dramatic and thrilling tale, and pull it off well.  What draws me to I Am Legend is the same as what I enjoyed about I, Robot and A.I (Artificial Intelligence) - humans interacting with mutated future versions of ourselves, whether they be in the form of monsters or machines, that have been created by humans.  Eventually our own egos and unethical approaches to "bigger, better, faster, stronger" turn on humankind and we become the underdogs to our own horrific creations.  These films also test the limits of human emotion and make you think, "What would I do in that situation?"

I relished all of the small details that I'd either forgotten or didnt pick up on the first time I saw I Am Legend such as the behaviour of the monsters and the extreme lengths Robert Neville goes to protect himself.  I recommend a second (or first) viewing of this movie, and while you're at it have a think about these questions:

1.  Why is Bob Marley and his music used throughout the film?
2.  What is the significance of Shrek being on TV, and the lines that Robert knows off by heart?
3.  What is the symbolism behind his only companion being a dog?

2 comments:

  1. You should definitely check out the book, its an engrossing read.

    I am a pretty big fan of post-apocalyptic films, and this would have to be one of my favourite ones. I truly love the ideas that these types of films evoke; the main one being how would people react when they believe there is no future (or a future where current conveniences no longer exist).

    I also love the way I Am Legend visualises the reclamation of New York by nature. Animals now thrive in a place were humans dominated and vegetation now covering tarmac, its imagery that is quite endearing. Well, in my opinion anyway.

    If you want to check out other good post-apocalyptic films, I'd definitely recommend you picking up the John Hillcoat directed 'The Road'. It is also an adaptation of a book. It is written by Pulitzer Prize winner Cormac McCarthy, and is both a beautiful and frightening read. It is basically the story of a father and son traversing post-apolocalyptic America, trying to avoid crazy survivalists and cannibals. Its not the most cheerful film, but it is entirely engrossing.

    By the way, I really like the questions you pose at the end of your blog, its amazing how often we overlook those kinds of things when we are viewing films, or reading books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention, you should should check out the alternate ending for I Am Legend. I actually found it much more poignant and closer to the spirit of the book. It should be on the DVD or you can see it on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete